Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Book review: Omnivore's Dilemma


My admiration and enjoyment of Michael Pollan's writing and view of food began with "In Defense of Food" and now it continues on with another book of his I recently read, "Omnivore's Dilemma."

In this book, he really gets you to examine and question the food you eat and how we as a society eat food. It is not a light read, but it really gets you thinking about what industries we are supporting: huge industrial food producers, or local sustainable farmers?

Michael Pollan truly is an eye opening author and I do think that everyone should read his works, or at least understand where our food really comes from.

For more Michael Pollan news, check out his recent New York Times magazine article "Out of the kitchen, onto the couch" about the fascination with cooking shows, yet the lack of people actually cooking their own meals. I for one, love all cooking shoes (they fill up my DVR) and cooking my own food, so there are some of us still out there.

But if reading isn't in the cards for your today, here is a video lecture given by him at the recent TED conference.







video/TED

9 comments:

Tracy-Girl said...

This sounds amazing! Its something TL would like. Have you ever read the "China Study?" I think that is what its called. Wow, how interesting... the food industry is really huge in the US!

Carrie said...

Sounds interesting. When I have more time I should pick it up. Possibly a good honeymoon read?

Savvy Gal said...

sounds like a good read.

Brunch at Saks said...

Oh thank you for this! I am looking for a new read and this sounds great! I love learning about foods, where they come from, how they are prepared, etc.

Selma said...

Will definitely check it out. Sounds like a great read!

Summer Wind said...

I found your blog through Tracy girl and I'm so glad I did.. i love it!! I'm definitely going to become a follower/ regular reader!

Krissy said...

Sounds interesting... Reminds me I need to see the movie "food Inc"!

{lovely little things} said...

It's on my "to-read" list!

Becca said...

I've read this book and I can't say enough about it! It has changed the way I eat and buy food. I now despise corn which most people think is a little strange but you'll see why after you read this book... Life-changing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin