Tuesday, December 15, 2009

France trip day 5: Versailles


Nick and I were excited to go to Versailles, but we had no idea how amazing we would find it as amazing as we did. It was the home of King Louis XIV, Louis V, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The Palace was beyond extravagant, and I will let the pictures to the talking.

The Hall of Mirrors...



The elaborate exterior...


While the house was quite a sight, the gardens were so beautiful! Nick and I are already talking about retuning some summer for their garden show, when they have all the fountains going. If anyone has ever been to that I'd love to hear about it!


The gardens stretch for as far as the eye can see. The area of Versailles covers over 2,000 acres and the formal gardens are 250 acres, so even though we were there all day, we only made a dent!

There are 50 fountains in the gardens...

Maire Antoinette built a full sized and working "village" in the gardens. It was built as her retreat from the palace because she liked the simplicity of the peasant life (but of course didn't want to live their hard life), so built her own peasant village, fully functioning with animals and all!

in front of the peasant village Marie Antoinette had built


Elsewhere in the garden, Cupid's Temple of Love...


And beautiful fall colors everywhere!

18 comments:

Cee said...

Wow! Can you imagine how insane it would have been to live there?

Children of the 90s said...

It all looks so beautiful!

Kassie said...

How gorgeous!! When I went to Versailles a few years ago it was under construction--ugh! lol. So we didn't get to see much. I loved the pictures!

chelsea said...

This is going on my "need to travel here" list!

Kris said...

ugh I miss France. I want to go back to there!

Brown Girl said...

I am so jealous, looks beautiful!!

Selma said...

Wow, these pictures are stunning! Never been to Versailles, but like a thousand times to Paris...how sad is that?! Your pictures inspired me to stay an extra night next time and explore Versaille...possibly in spring or summer. I heard it's beyond breathtaking during that time of year!!! Sigh...

The SSS Sophisticate said...

OMG it is sooo beautiful!!! I can't wait to see more pics!

French lover said...

Aww my boyfriend is dying to go ! I've been a bad French girlfriend and didn't even take him in the two months he was in Paris.. But we're definitely going in January, your pictures totally motivated me to visit Versailles once again !

Megara said...

versailles in one place in france i've always wished i'd visited... now i have to go back. gorgeous photos!
xo meg

Annie said...

how pretty!!!
love all the photos hun!

The Socialite said...

oh wow! gorgeous! :)

Lacey said...

So gorgeous!! I would happily move to that little village!

Savvy Gal said...

oh beatiful. i didn't visit versailles last time. i sure will visit next time.

Caroline said...

Your pictures are making me excited for my trip in JUNE.... it looks like you had an amazing time!!! Great photos!! xo

Crazy Shenanigans said...

It looks amazing there! I didn't get to visit it but I heard it's wonderful....you just proved it with these pictures!

{lovely little things} said...

Oh my gosh, I've been to Versailles twice and I've never seen Marie Antoinette's house or the Cupid temple, crazy!

Jenny DB said...

Wowww... such gorgeous pictures

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin