Thursday, February 4, 2010

Winter vegetable: kale


Kale is one of those amazing super foods loaded with nutrients that I am trying to eat more often. Yesterday our work had a nutritionist/cook come talk to us and she showed us this easy and delicious kale salad recipe originally from Gourmet Magazine that can also be found here.

I've never been much of a fan of raw kale, but I am telling you, this is so good and nutritious! And I always seem to lack on my veggie intake during the winter, so I'm going to try to incorporate this into my diet more often.


  • 3/4 to 1 pound lacinato kale (also called Tuscan kale) or tender regular kale, stems and center ribs discarded
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 ounces coarsely grated ricotta salata (1 cup)

Working in batches, cut kale crosswise into very thin slices.
Whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well.
Toss kale and ricotta salata in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat well, then season with salt and pepper.

29 comments:

Caroline said...

I might have to try this. I've never tried kale.

Caroline said...

YUMMM!!! :) xo

Selma said...

I'm so gonna try this again! :) I've had it before, but I can hardly find it over here so it's difficult.

Jenni said...

ohhh that sounds wonderful!

Cee said...

I've never tried kale! I'll have to pick some up and try this.

Meg said...

yum this sounds good! i've been trying to eat more new vegetables, so i'll have to try kale...

Bri said...

I love kale! Never tried it raw, but it's awesome in Toscana soup!!

The SSS Sophisticate said...

Ooooh that actually does sound pretty good. I will have to stop being such a baby and try it.

Lyr said...

Sounds amazing! Think I might try this one!

meredith said...

i need to try to get into kale. i've heard nothing but great things about it!

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

I honestly have never tried kale! This sounds delicious...so maybe I'll try it! :0

{lovely little things} said...

Interesting, I'm not a huge fan of ricotta either...but worth a try.

Brown Girl said...

Oh yum, I love kale, it's wonderful in soups. I'll have to try this out!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

I honestly don't think I've ever ate Kale.

French lover said...

Never tried it.. But I definitely will !

Nicole Marie said...

i've been seeing it everywhere! i want to try to cook with it!

Allison said...

The only time I've ever seen kale has been on the side of my plate in a restaurant...I'm going to have to try it though, especially since it's so nutrient packed =)
I'll be trying your recipe asap.
I hope you're doing well, dear! I miss you!

Kristin said...

OK, YUM. I must try this out!

Kelly said...

mmmm this sounds SO good and a great vegetable to incorporate into the daily diet!!!

thanks for sharing the great find!!
happy weekend friend!!
xoxo

Iva said...

I love kale!! I eat it in so many different ways, its so versatile ;) Happy Friday, have a great weekend!!

Erikizzle said...

omg i LOVE kale. I used to go through it so fast!! This sounds gross at first, but I promise it's really good. Think Odwalla's superfood. I used to make a kale and banana smoothie with those two ingredients, sometimes some apple or ice and either soy milk or normal milk depending on what was around. You just stick it all in it all in a blender.
I also used to put a layer of kale on the bottom of my tupperware before putting my leftovers or whatever in for lunch at work the next day. when you reheat at work, the kale steams just enough to get rid of that weird raw kale texture and I feel like you can eat it with most foods.

Emi and Kyle said...

I have been wanting to cook with kale, too! This looks like a great recipe--I'll have to try it out!

Rebecca said...

kale is one of my very favorite greens...sounds delish!

Tracy-Girl said...

That sounds good! I love that your work gives you these tips!

Ashley @ KiwisandCocktails said...

yum. I just had kale soup the other day and it was DELISH.
Thanks for the recipe!

Christyrenee said...

I left you something on my blog, come check it out when you get a chance =)

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing Carol.

Ash Fox said...

my friend makes kale chips. yum!

Erikizzle said...

I just found a kale recipe that looked really interesting- kale pesto. it's http://edibleperspective.com/2011/02/back-it-up-a-bit/ toward the bottom of the post.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin