Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cakes, cakes and more cakes

The final baking class in my series was the one I was looking forward to the most, cakes and frosting. I have to say, we did an amazing job!

Brooke and I made a fluffy yellow cake with real buttercream frosting. It was a little complicated, but totally worth it.




Fluffy Yellow Layer Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) cake flour, plus extra for dusting pans
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 3/4 cups (12 1/4 ounces) sugar
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs, separated
plus 3 large yolks, room temperature

1. Adjust rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch-wide by 2-inch high round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Grease paper rounds, dust pans with flour, and knock out excess. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/4 cups sugar together in large bowl. In 2-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and 6 yolks.

2. In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. With machine running, gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar; continue to beat until soft peaks form, 60 to 90 seconds. Transfer to bowl and set aside.

3. Add flour mixture to now empty mixing bowl fitted with whisk attachment. With mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in butter mixture and mix until incorporated, about 60 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape whisk and sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium-low speed and beat until smooth, 10 to 15 seconds.

4. Stir one-third of whites into batter to lighten; add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans, spread batter to pan walls and smooth tops.

5. Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pans and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pan with small knife, then invert onto greased wire rack; peel off parchment. Invert cakes again; cool completely on rack, about 1 1/2 hours.


Chocolate buttercream frosting
16 ounces semisweet chocolate , finely chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream (cold)


1) Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl set over saucepan containing 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile, heat butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Increase heat to medium; add sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt and stir with heatproof rubber spatula until sugar is dissolved, 4 to 5 minutes. Add melted chocolate, butter mixture, and cream to clean bowl of standing mixer and stir to thoroughly combine.

2) Place mixer bowl over ice bath and stir mixture constantly with rubber spatula until frosting is thick and just beginning to harden against sides of bowl, 1 to 2 minutes (frosting should be 70 degrees). Place bowl on standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir with rubber spatula until completely smooth.


Meghan and Brynn did a beautiful strawberry cake and Miss Brynn did an awesome post about the cake you can check out here.


I am sad classes are over, but I have a feeling there will be more baking and cooking classes in the future for us.


The two best cakes in the class

24 comments:

The SSS Sophisticate said...

Ugh that cake was so amazing! I am tempted to try it myself, but I am afraid it won't turn out as good as yours! I would like a piece right now please.

Joanna said...

OMG!!! That looks delicious!!!

B said...

It's a good thing i'm eating frozen yogurt right now because those cakes are making me DROOL!

Caroline said...

Can I say YUM!!! xo

{Selma} Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Yummy...both cakes. However, I have to be honest I'd go for the strawberry one Brynn made. ;) If I loved chocolate yours would be my #1 choice! ;)

Happy weekend!

Brown Girl said...

Man if I wasn't such a lazy fart I would make that! Looks delicious!

Jenny DB said...

Such pretty cakes! Make me hungry for dessert :-) Good job!!!

Anonymous said...

No wonder the icing was so good. A pound of chocolate, a stick of butter and 1 1/4 cups of cream!! My mouth waters just thinking of it. You will need to make that at my house sometime.
L&K,MOM

Nicole-Lynn said...

Yum! You're making me so hungry! They look great! I need to do these classes.. it looks so fun!

Allison said...

Omg, that looks amazing! You did a great job, Carol :)

chelsea said...

yum, yum, and more yum!

JMO said...

Oh my gosh! They looks so great!!

Lindsay said...

i just found your blog...seriously, i am totally drooling over that cake right now :)

Meg said...

mmm i've had such chocolate cravings lately - this frosting looks divine! i hope you enjoyed eating it as much as you enjoyed making it! if not, send some my way, i'll be glad to help you finish it off.

Lacey said...

That sounds like so much fun! And the cakes look delicious!!

the southern hostess said...

Yum! How fun! The cakes look great.

Ashley @ KiwisandCocktails said...

I could eat those cakes for breakfast RIGHT NOW! Cooking classes sound so fun!!

Tiffany said...

Y'alls cake looks awesome!! Thanks for the recipe!

Diana Mieczan said...

Those cakes look so yummy:) I love those photos...I need to find some fun baking classes to attend:)
Kisses and have a great Monday

~KS said...

That strawberry cake is making my tummy grumble! And now I want to take a baking class...

Carrie @ Laugh Love Eat Ice Cream said...

Mmm, I am hungry for some cake now! Both look cakes look beautiful and I'm sure they tasted amazing too!

hotel in bandung said...

I like this blog, good luck ..! also visit hotel in bandung or nikon digital camera cases

Nicole Marie said...

oh my gosh yum!!

monica said...

yummy yummy yummy!!!

xo
monica

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin