Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Book Club: The Help

If anyone has done a post recently asking for book recommendations, chances are I left a comment raving about this book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Consider this another recommendation, I loved this book.


It is about African American maids working in white households during the early 1960s and told from the point of view of two maids (the help) and a white woman, Miss Skeeter. 

And, this book is going to be released this summer as a movie!  With Emma Stone as the main character, Miss Skeeter!

And remember the last book we read for book club, Orange Is The New Black?  While the main character is in prison, they try to create new sorts of "recipes" out of their usual food to make things more interesting.  The signature dish of our main character was something called "prison cheesecake" which she made out of everyday items she could find in the prison kitchen such as Laughing Cow cheese, vanilla pudding and coffee creamer. 

Last book club we were all intrigued over the idea of this cheesecake, so last night Carrie made it according to the recipe in the book and we all tried it.  Not bad at all!

23 comments:

Meghan said...

I just borrowed The Help from someone and can't wait to read it!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

That book sounds great. I'm in the middle of one right now but will add to my list and hopefully get to it before the movie!

Linda said...

Such a fantastic book. I loved it and recommended to everyone after I read it.

courtney said...

I loved The Help! I'm going to have to check out Orange is the new Black

Bri said...

I've heard a lot of good things about that book. It's on my list to read. I need to find a book club so then I'll have an excuse to read more often!

Ashley @ KiwisandCocktails said...

I will add this to my list! I was looking at my book shelf last night and realized I have a lot of books on there I have not read yet! I need to get my nose out of baby books-I am ready for a REAL book about now! :)

Mo Pie, Please said...

Prison cheesecake? That's crazy, but awesome that it worked! The books sound great!

Tamara Nicole said...

I loved that book! :-)

{lovely little things} said...

So fun, I love our book club!

Kirsty said...

Me too! Such a great read! I couldn't put it down! So intriguing! love it.

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

The Help is on my book list! I like reading the book before watching the movie so I better hurry up :)

Chiara said...

Sounds great, when I go to the US in May I have to stock up on books in english!!
xo

Carrie @ Laugh Love Eat Ice Cream said...

The Help was so good, I can't wait for the movie!

I was surprised the cheesecake tasted so close to real cheesecake. I still have the leftovers in my fridge. We're having friends over for dinner on Thursday and I think I'll offer it to them for dessert. Hahaha!

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds like a great read. I will check it out for sure:) Kisses, my dear

Ps: I’m hosting a charming jewelry GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in:)

Erika Peterson said...

I've heard great things about this book. I hear it's a little controversial in areas of the country. But it's on my list now!

Nel said...

The blog is very good!
Congratulations!
http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com
Have a nice day!

ashley maureen said...

i will be adding this to my list!
so envious of your book club.

{Selma} Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I loved this book. Oh, and I didn't know there's going to be a movie...how exciting!!!

Holly said...

i loved the help so much i never wanted it to end!

Your Southern Peach said...

Thanks for stopping by YSP. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for months, waiting to be read. Maybe this is a sign I need to get to it!

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I have heard so many great things about this book! I think I am going to get it before we go on our trip! :)

Nicole Marie said...

it's one of my favorite books ever!!

christine donee said...

this sounds great! i'll have to give it a read :)

just found your blog & already loving it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin