Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tahitian honeymoon day 6: Moorea and Bora Bora

Day 6 was our last day in Moorea at the InterContinental Resort And Spa Moorea and we spend it at the pool and beach enjoying our final hours before catching our flight to Bora Bora!






Goodbye Moorea - hope to see you again someday!!


Later in the early evening we went to the airport to catch our small plane over to Bora Bora.  I'm not a fan of small planes, but was so excited to get to Bora Bora I didn't even care!





Bora Bora is probably the most famous of the Tahitian islands and the one I was looking forward to the most!  When we were talking about where we wanted to go on our honeymoon, Bora Bora was somewhere we had always wanted to go and staying in an over water bungalow on the island was a bucket list item of mine!

The main island has a large mountain called Mt. Otemanu in the middle and the main island is surrounded by a lagoon and barrier reef  with  little "motus" (islands) in the lagoon.  Most of the hotels are out on these motus facing Mt. Otemanu which allows for the over water bungalows and water that is like a giant pool.



I didn't take this picture, but here is the island from above:


And very few people actually live on the island.  Everyone who works at the hotel actually lives in staff housing areas since there really are no houses or apartments on the island, only hotels.

The airport is also on a motu so after you land, all the hotels have boats come to pick everyone up.




Our luggage was picked up and we were whisked away to our home for the next four days: InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa!   

Pictures from their website from above:



The boat ride from the airport took us across the "lagoon" and to the resort and we were joined by two other couples (I think one was from Australia and one was from France, very few Americans the whole trip!)


We were met by the main concierge of the airport (who fluently spoke something like 5 languages) and we were taken from the boat dock to the main lobby - on a golf cart! We check in at the hotel and the concierge tells you about the hotel and then takes you on a tour of the hotel on the golf cart






I'll continue more tomorrow about our over water bungalow but here is a picture of one of the coolest parts - a see through coffee table that opens up (to feed the fish of course!)  All this blogging is making me want to go back now!


13 comments:

Yours Truly said...

Oh my looks SO fun!!!
And I love the book "The Help" (below) such a great book.

Xoxo
Stephanie&such

PS I am from Spokane. Washington is THE BEST!!!

Lyr said...

This place looks absolutely beautiful. So jealous... have to put that on places to go.

{Selma} Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

So beautiful, I want to jump right into these pictures!!! And that small plane looked scary...though glad you didn't care. ;)

jeanette from everton terrace said...

The only word I can think of is wow. I mean WOW!!

Jax said...

My jaw is dropping.. a coffee table that lets you feed the fish?! Hellllllo awesome!! I cant WAIT for more updates about Bora Bora!!!! Keep em coming, girl!

Sabrina Mallah said...

This looks amazing!! I need a vacation!

Sabrina Says

Kelly said...

such beautiful pictures!! makes me want to vacay real bad righ now!

Erika Peterson said...

Oh man, Carol. After each of your posts, I'm wanting more and more to go there for my future honeymoon!

Kristin said...

OMG you are killing me!! I wanna go!!

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

You look like your having so much fun! Wish i was there...congrats!!

Jenny DB said...

oh my gosh, are we done with honey moon recaps yet? I SOOOO Want to go!!!

the southern hostess said...

Unreal! Absolutely gorgeous!

Living Our Love Song said...

Hubs and I are trying to plan a trip in December, and you have just made up my mind that this need to be one of our options! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin