Thursday, May 26, 2011

New Orleans trip: Swamp Tour and Nottoway Plantation

A few days into our trip Nick and I rented a car for the day and drove outside of the city.  This day was one of the highlights of the trip, we did a swamp tour and plantation tour!

For our swamp tour, we drove about 30 minutes west to Laplace for the Cajun Pride Swamp tour.  It was a blast! We were out on the bayou for about 2 hours driving around on the boat and feeding the alligators.  Our guide was awesome and it was fun to see a completely different terrain than I had ever seen before.







Another thing I was not expecting to do was hold an alligator!  Behind that smile I am terrified - I am not a reptile fan.  The guide assured us Elvis's teeth were really small if he did happen to bit us it would just feel like a kitten bite and I figured if I can feed a sting ray in Bora Bora, I can certainly hold little Elvis!



And we even saw an old trapper's cabin - complete with an out house!


After the swamp tour we grabbed a craw fish and shrimp po'boy to go at a local restaurant then continued driving west until we got to the Oak Alley Plantation.  We didn't have enough time to go inside, but we did get to see the beautiful exterior and the lovely oak trees leading up to the plantation.  So beautiful!   


Our drive west continued (we were about 1.5 hours outside of New Orleans in White Castle) and we reached the Nottoway Plantation, the largest plantation in the south, hence the reason I wanted to go out there!  The house was beautiful and we walked around the gardens then did a 45 minute guided group tour of the inside.  The house was right on the mighty Mississippi river and I felt like I was Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wine (I tried to do my best impression of her but it wasn't nearly as good as the movie).







Overall an awesome day and great time seeing more of the beautiful south!

18 comments:

Kori Donahue said...

This is one reason I need to return to NOLA.. Hope you can link up with me tomorrow for Fashion Friday honey! Have a fabulous Friday! Kori xoxo

www.blondeepisodes.com

Nicole-Lynn said...

Look at the gators! ahh! I'd be so scared! haha Cute pics. Looks SO pretty there!

Jax said...

Holy moly that place is beautiful! Could you imagine driving up to that every day?! Sheez!

And um.. the gators made my muscles tense! YIKES! I'm pretty much terrified of alligators and I dont know why since we obviously dont have any in Oklahoma...hah!

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Why do gators have to look so dog-gone evil! We have them here in FL and they scare the junk out of me!

This looks like a lovely area. I've only been there once when I was real young.

Jamie Pickle said...

I seriously think the Swamp Tour was our favorite thing we did when we visited New Orleans. And visiting the plantations was the second. So much fun and so beautiful!

Kelly said...

I've been to New Orleans twice and both times I was too scared to go on the swamp tour. And on top of that, I watched Swamp People on history channel {most hilarious yet intimidating show ever} so as of 5 minutes ago you couldn't pay me enough to go on one of those tours. But now I want to because of your post; it looks so fun!! Did you ever watch Clarissa Explains It All (with Melissa Joan Hart) on Nickelodeon when you were little? She had a little alligator names Elvis...funny. {SO random sorry :)}

Those houses are beautiful! Great post!

Nicole* said...

the plantation looks so beautiful!! and it looks like you were there on a perfect day too!

Ashley said...

I want that plantation house w/ big white porch now!

Your Southern Peach said...

What a fun trip!!! That plantation is dreamy. I need to get out of the French Quarters on my next visit to NOLA. :)

Best,

Amy

Stephanie and Such said...

Omg! Omg! OMG! I am SO jealous of your swamp tour and that house? THAT HOUSE is stunning!! Love that movie. K have you ever watched swamp people? Hahaha sooo funny. Looks like fun missy!

chelsea said...

the tour looks like so much fun, with all those gators! And goodness, aren't those plantation homes out-of-control gorgeous?!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Great pictures, love that you held an alligator, crazy!!

alex said...

I love reptiles(: This sure looks like fun!

Erika Peterson said...

Carol, this looks like so much fun! I love the contrast of the cabin to the plantation house.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

How cool! That plantation looks amazing! I'm going to have to add that to my must see list. I love that you held an alligator! Very cool!

Carrie @ Laugh Love Eat Ice Cream said...

That is awesome you saw alligators so close, and then got to hold one! And the plantation looks gorgeous!

Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Little Elvis is so cute, and yes, I think I would have faked a smile too. I'm clearly not a fan. However, he looks harmless. ;)

And those plantation houses? Mansions? Amazing!!! Love the porch!

Emm said...

I want to hold a baby alligator!!! This looks just like my type of day. i love cities but I would love the nature, the water, the encounters with the alligators and the visit to the old plantation.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin