Sunday, January 22, 2012

Europe 2011 day 1: Amsterdam

Time to finally getting around to blogging about our Europe trip back in September!  Our first stop was Amsterdam!
fresh off the plane exploring the city

Nick and I landed in Amsterdam in the morning (Sept. 13) and made our way through the huge airport.  We then took a train from the airport to Amsterdam Centraal Station and then took the tram to our hotel.  It was an easy flight and figuring out the public transportation once we landed was really easy too.  

Nick and I were staying the the Jordaan neighborhood - right in the center of town.  It is very picturesque and one of the hippest and most popular places to live in Amsterdam!   


lovely day, lovely city

I was really excited for this stop because I was meeting up with my friend Anne from my old workplace at Fred Hutchinson.  We've remained friends and since she was studying abroad (she is getting her Masters in Urban Planning) two hours north in a town called Groningen she said she would come down at meet up with us. Yay!  

Anne took a two hour train ride to come visit - so nice of her!

Even after a long flight from Seattle we weren't about to slow down on our first day of the trip, so we dropped off our bags, did a quick freshen up at our hotel and hit the town with Anne!  

The Jordaan neighborhood was was so pretty but a little confusing with all the canals.  We broke out the Rick Steves book and did his Jordaan neighborhood walk and saw some of the sights he pointed out.


standing in front of the smallest house in Amsterdam - it's only a little wider than the door


all the unique rooftops of the city

bike + cheese = stereotypical Amsterdam 

touring the city

After our walking tour the three of us made our way to Vondelpark and walked around and did some people watching.  




 After the park we decided to make our way to dinner for our first taste of traditional Dutch food - to be honest, pretty boring food.  I wont be making my way to any Dutch restaurants anytime soon.  One thing I read about Dutch restaurants is that they are slow - very slow.  And we found that to be true.  It's not that they are trying to be rude - they just want to give you your time to eat, even more so than what I have experienced in Italy and France!   After dinner we saw Anne off on her train and then strolled home and I took some night pictures on the way.   

The Royal Palace in Dam Square 

Westerkerk church

34 comments:

yours truly, melissa said...

Such lovely photos! Looks like a fantastic trip!

annelise said...

Amsterdam is the prettiest city, isn't it? Sounds like your holiday got off to a perfect start.

Avery James Photography said...

Beautiful sights! I would loooove to take a big Euro trip! :)

averyjamesphotography.blogspot.com

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

i love amsterdam, can't wait to go back!

Ocean Dreams said...

How lovely and I love how the cheese is in the bike basket lol! The buildings look gorgeous. Glad you had fun!

Your Southern Peach said...

When I was doing my study abroad in Germany my junior year of college, a group of kids took a weekend trip to Amsterdam and I didn't have the funds to go. I still regret it but am happy to live vicariously through you! :) Maybe one day I'll make it back there.

Caroline said...

I've only been to the airport, but this looks amazing! My parents went and loved it.

briannelee said...

What a fun trip. I need to travel more!

PS. Enter my Poshlocket bracelet giveaway :)

http://brileeo.blogspot.com/2012/01/inspired-winner-another-giveaway.html

Ashley said...

I can't wait to go to Amsterdam in June! It looks amazing .

Hannah @ The New Black said...

That looks so beautiful! That's funny you say that about Dutch food! As I first started looking at your post I wondered what kind of cuisine they had there and I drew a blank. I can't think of a single dutch dish. Then I read you said it was boring and I realized that's probably why I didn't know any dutch food, because it's not real exciting.

Nicole Marie said...

i love amsterdam.

Hannah said...

Wonderful photos! I'm so jealous, I'd love to go to Amsterdam.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Clarinda said...

Great pictures! I'd love to visit Amsterdam one day.

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

Beautiful pictures! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

Jax said...

My jaw almost dropped with that first picture! Everything is all wintery right now and seeing the sun and those bright colors just made me happy! :) Amsterdam looks so pretty!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Your pictures are so beautiful, I just love Amsterdam! It looks like you had perfect weather for your first day of sightseeing. Can't wait to hear more!

Kristin said...

LOVE the Netherlands! So simple and beautiful, and how fun are all the bikes!!

OneCraftyFox said...

I simply could not get over how many bikes there were in Amsterdam!! Great pics!

Allison said...

The architecture is beautiful! I wish I could do some traveling.

Alexa said...

GREAT photos. Just loved Amsterdam. Such a fun spot to visit!

Brittany said...

This is so neat, looks like y'all are having a great time! I enjoyed looking at your pictures!

AllyM said...

This vacation is to die for.

My future husband is getting his masters in urban planning--im now talking him into going abroad.

Thanks for the congrats!

xoxo
www.allymullin.blogspot.com

Sara Louise said...

I've had connecting flights in and out of Amsterdam airport more times than I can count, but I've never actually been there. Your pictures make it look so pretty and picturesque :-)

Ashley @ KiwisandCocktails said...

You are always going to the neatest places! Beautiful photos and what a fun trip!

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

A beautiful city of bicycles! I hear it's insane with all of them rolling around!

Sophie said...

oh wow. your photos are beautiful. i absolutely loved amsterdam when i visited. its such an amazing city. you are making me want to go back!

just found your blog and im following :) x

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous! I'd love to go to Amsterdam someday.

Susan said...

Love your blog and your photos!! What a wonderful trip! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! have a great day!

Danielle Nelson said...

Hello! I am a new follower and love your blog! We have similar intersets, would love you to check out my blog and follow if you would like! :)
-Danielle
A Little Bit Adrift

Erin said...

Great photos! Looks like an awesome trip!

Anne said...

Great post! And what a fun day...although I agree, the food left something to be desired. :)

GiGi Reed said...

SO jealous. I would LOVE to be there. Thanks for sharing this photos, they're beautiful!! :)

www.glamorsham.blogspot.com

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you're finally blogging about your travels! I loved the bike with cheese! lol

Busana Muslim said...

Great post,I really like your article

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin