Monday, January 30, 2012

Europe 2011 day 3: Venice


The next morning (Sept. 15) we woke up early in Amsterdam and headed to the airport to catch a flight down to Venice!  Easy, quick flight and we landed at 10:45 a.m.  This was my third trip to Venice (first trip was with my parents, second trip was with my study abroad friends) and I was so happy to be back in Italy!  (I'm half Italian and studied abroad in Rome so Italy is very dear to me and I was so happy to be back in the motherland).

"You may have the world if I can have Italy"
-Giuseppe Verdi


We landed at the airport, took a vaparetto into the city and by a stroke of luck found our hotel (in all my planning I neglected to write down the address - not my smartest move)! Our hotel was in a great location right off of a vaparetto stop at the Grand Canal so it made getting around really easy.

Our first stop was to show Nick St. Mark's Square.  We decided to tour the Basilica later but I at least had to show him the square.

hanging out in St. Mark's Square 

St. Mark's Basilica

We dropped off our bags and once again hit the streets in search of food.  We found some delicious sandwiches and then made our way to La Boutique del Gelato.  I did lots of food research for the trip and this is supposedly the best gelato in the city - we certainly thought it was good.

strawberry + chocolate gelato

nutella gelato

We did a little more walking around the city and then stopped at a bar for some more coffee (still had a tiny bit of jetlag). We then headed back to the hotel where even after the coffee I was in need of a nap.




 Rialto Bridge

After a nap I felt much better and we headed out to dinner. We then went to dinner at a place called Ristorante Accademia Foscarini on the canal right at the foot of the Accademia bridge. It was a pretty touristy place, but it was really fun to eat right on the canal.

view from our dinner table 

pizza! 

our dinner spot

Perfect way to end our first day in Venice! We spent the rest of the evening strolling around the San Marco district, taking pictures and enjoying the lovely city.





32 comments:

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Venice looks so beautiful, I'd love to visit there someday.

Glad you got lucky and found your hotel! I can see myself doing something like that.

jodi said...

I've still *never* been to Italy, and I'm dying to go next year for our 10-year wedding anniversary :) Great photos! (also... love your dress)

Alexa said...

VEnise is such a romantic spot in Italy. One of my favorites, for sure.

Kristin said...

I LOVED Venice! It is so pretty it was almost like it wasn't real! So do you speak Italian? Mmmmmm gelato!! :)

Poptartyogini said...

It is so beautiful there. I went in high school with the band (I was so awesome) and don't think I got enough as much out of it as I would now. Nice to take a mini vacation from my desk chair!

Jax said...

Beautiful! Definitely want to go! My girl friend just took a job in London and I am SO hoping to get over there soon and spend a few weeks in Europe! She gets something ridiculous like 6 weeks of vacation or more, so we're already talking vacation planning!

Erin said...

So much fun! When I was traveling around Italy during my semester abroad, the first order of business in each new city was to locate the best gelato! It looks like you found it in Venice!

{Emily} Simply Southern said...

i miss venice so much it was my favorite!!
xo emily

Carolyn said...

Oh it looks AMAZING!!!

Nicole Marie said...

i didnt go to venice when i lived in florence and i so wished i had

Erika Peterson said...

Awww, Venice. What a fun time! Brings back memories :)

Punctuation Mark said...

i loved that city the time I was there... great pics!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Beautiful!! I love your dress!

Marshall said...

ahhhh VENICE!!! thank you so much for sharing these. Totally took me back to one of my favorite cities in the world.

Loving your bloggy! (:

Brittany said...

I have always said I wanted to go to Venice and after seeing your pictures, I want to go even more! It looks beautiful!

Alexa said...

Great shots! AND I love your coral colored dress! xo

brittany said...

yess, i'm taking notes! we're off to italy this spring and one of our stops is venice! i'm half italian, too, and still have not been to that old mother country :)

Meghan said...

Great pictures! We booked tickets for Europe this summer and Italy is definitely on the must see list. I might need to pick your brain about Rome!

Dana Gastelum said...

Ahhh! Love this! Venice is one of my very favorite cities! It's so magical! Best gelato I've ever had! :) Love your pictures!

Megan @ Tales of an HBS Wife said...

So jealous - looks like an amazing time in Venice!

Jaclyn said...

Definitely in need of a good Venice trip. Looks like your trip was marvelous.

Ashley said...

Just beautiful!Looks like so much fun.

Sophie said...

seriously in love with venice. your photos are incredible! x

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I seriously have to go to Venice!!! Soon!!!
Loved all of your pictures and am now inspired, thank you.

chelsea said...

I want to go back! Nutella Gelato: you're killin me!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I have never been to Italy and these pictures make me want to go soooo bad! We keep debating on Italy or Australia for this year.

Megan said...

ok now knowing this is your third trip...im definitely hitting you up!!!!!

annelise said...

Italy is my favourite country in the whole world and I would move there in a heartbeat. Looking at these gorgeous pictures of Venice has just stirred up my Italy lust again. So gorgeous!

Emm said...

I've just caught up on Amsterdam and Venice. Your photos look amazing and you had such gorgeous weather! I've taken steps to not miss one of your posts again! I had no idea you weren't in my reader!

Busana Muslim said...

Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

Nicole-Lynn said...

My goodness it looks just breathtaking there!

hotels at Venice airport said...

Really glad for you! It seems you enjoyed the trip! Colorful city.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin