Thursday, March 1, 2012

Europe 2011 day 10: Mykonos, Greece

Our next stop on day ten (Sept. 22) was to the lovely island of Mykonos!

Good morning Mykonos!

This was my second favorite stop of the trip, it was so lovely and it is known as the party island of Greece.  Actually, my dad did some partying of his own there in the 70s.  I'll have to get those stories someday...

The start of our day was a little interesting.  At all our other stops we had an easy way to get into town -  not so much at Mykonos.  We couldn't really find a way to get into town (no busses or cabs that we saw) so just when we thought we were in for a long hike a very nice local named Johnny came up to me (he spoke no English) but motioned to me that we could ride in the back of his truck into town.  I usually don't take rides from strangers, but Johnny seemed pretty legit and we really wanted to get into town.

So Nick and I hopped on the back of Johnny's tiny three wheeler truck and the three of us rode into town.  It was only slightly terrifying as the roads are really, really, really winding, bumpy and narrow and we were in a teeny, tiny pickup truck. But we made it into town safely and thanked Johnny for his genrous ride and offered him some euros as a thank you.

our awesome driver Johnny and our little ride

We walked up to a viewpoint to get some views of the town and took some pictures











There were a lot of cafes by the water so we sat down and took in the scenery with some caffe lattes and croissants



We then did some exploring of the town...



this little guy was just posing for me




I guess this is a famous church where a lot of photoshoots take place, there was one going on and you can see the photographer right by my leg



I read the beaches are lovely on Mykonos and the most famous of them is one called Paradise Beach.  It's apparently quite the party at night.  We rented some chairs for a couple of hours and did some swimming.  





When we got back into town we had some gyros (not as good as the ones in Athens but still delicious)

Mykonos is a very windy island and famous for it's windmills so we checked those out and took some pictures by them









Right below the windmills you get view of  this area they call "Little Venice"



windy!



At the windmills we ran into some people from our cruise ship we became friends with and they are nactually 100% Greek (lived in Chicago but had family in Greece).  They speak fluent Greek and told us they were going to a bakery that was recommended to them and asked if we wanted to join - yes was the obvious answer.  At the bakery we ordered a big assortment of Greek pasteries and ate them outside.



A final picture as we left Mykonos, we had a great time non the lovely island and would love to go back someday!



Next stop - the highlight of the trip - the lovely and picturesque island of Santorini!

17 comments:

Girlie Blogger said...

Fantastic pictures. Ah, love riding three wheelers. Seattle Beauty and Fashion - Girlie Blog Seattle

Emm said...

Carol, I am loving all of your tour updates! It is not that I didn't want to visit these places before but if you're not familiar with the Greek isles and other places in Europe, it can seem like there is just too much to choose from. You've made it real for me! I love the windmills and look of this island - I can see why it was one of your favourites.

Caroline said...

Absolutely picture perfect. Love it!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Your pictures are amazing - such vivid colors!

I love the kitty on the motorcycle!

Poptartyogini said...

You are brave souls taking a ride from a stranger!! Awesome story. Your pictures are amazing. It isn't hard to see why it was one of your favorites. Looking forward to santorini!

Anonymous said...

Gee Carol, I need to get some of those stories too since they were before me!! MOM

Jax said...

Gorgeous! Love the photos! I dated a greek guy in college for a couple years.. His parents were born and raised in Greece. I can still hear him saying "Mykonos" the way it's supposed to be said with a little accent.. haha.. .Funny. Adorable little striped dress, girl!

Alexa said...

Love all of the blue! And your striped shirt!

Erikizzle said...

Love all the photos! I feel like you could make a calendar just from the photos in this post!

Ashley said...

I want to go there!! I dated a Greek in college and thats the closest I have been! lol. GREAT pictures as always.

Jessica said...

I'm so jealous! I want to go to Greece soo bad! Love your photos!

Kristin said...

you all fit in that red truck?!

Smile Steady said...

Oh I'm so jealous, and I can't wait to see your pics of Santorini!

chelsea said...

thats a cool story to be able to tell for years about hitching that ride ;) love your dress, and the scenery! all those quaint wind mills!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, it looks SO amazingly gorgeous there! WOW!!

Bailey@Lost&Found said...

1. you have gorgeous eyes.
2. I am loving all your stripped dresses!
3. You are definitely making me want to plan a trip to Greece!!

Nicole-Lynn said...

So pretty here too! Love your dress too! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin