Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Europe 2011 day 14: Venice, Italy

Our day 13 of the trip was another sea day.  It was our last full day of the cruise and we spent it relaxing and getting ready for the last two days of the trip.  We packed up, gave big hugs to our fabulous table mates and early on the morning of day 14 (Sept. 26) we said goodbye to our home on the ship and hello to Venice again.

Good morning Venice!

We went back to our same hotel, checked in and we out again to explore the city some more.  


When I studied abroad in Rome, one of my favorite things to eat was pizza by the slice.  I was so excited when wandering around Venice we found a place like that!  It brought me back to the Rome days!  And then of course did some gelato for dessert.


 

After lunch we headed for the Doge's Palace and took the tour. Of the museums we saw, this one was one of the best - laid out as a tour of the palace, it winds through all the rooms, and you go over the Bridge of Sighs and back through the prison as well. The doge was like the emperor of the city so obviously had some pretty good living quarters.




The golden staircase

The view from the Bridge Of Sighs

So happy in Venice!

View from the Doge's Palace

Our tickets also got us into the Correr museum so we went there as well, but it wasn't nearly as interesting so we just took some more pictures of St. Mark's Square.




Rick Steves (have I mentioned him enough on here) had a section in his book about a vaperetto tour down the Grand Canal, so we did that and just enjoyed the scenery.



The EU flag, Italian flag, and Venice flag



For dinner my friend Blakeley (who studied abroad in Venice) recommended heading outside of the San Marco district and into the San Paolo area for a delicious dinner.  There was even an autographed picture of the late Ted Kennedy with the owner - apparently he was a fan of the restaurant!

The quieter side of Venice

 


23 comments:

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

Beautiful city.

OhioGirl said...

Such beautiful photos! I am so glad that you are seeing Europe at its best (it can be very different living here, but it is beautiful!!) Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Holly said...

i didnt know you studied abroad in rome, so did i! when were you there? i went in 2004. wonder if we were there at the same time :)

Erin said...

Really enjoying your recaps. I traveled Italy and Europe as a student, but can't wait to go back with my husband!

Lovely photos!

poptartyogini said...

Venice is just like a dream. I went when I was in high school with the band. Such a nerd! I want to go back as a grown up and then maybe stay forever.

Kristin said...

Ahhhh Venice! Yummy pizza and gelato!! LOVE that 'happy' pic of you, so cute!

Diana Mieczan said...

Venice is one of my favourite places and your photos are beautiful, sweetie. Hope you are having a great week so far. xo

Erika Peterson said...

I remember our fave pizza-by-the-slice place like it was yesterday. That, combined with the gelato and whole-fat cappuccinos are the culprits for not fitting into some of my clothes for months after studying abroad :) But it was so worth it!

P.S. Love the skipping photo of you!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Those are some great pictures. I really like the one of you skipping and looking so happy. The pizza and gelato talk is making me hungry!

Anna Elder said...

Gorgeous photos lady! So, we're hoping to plan a Europe trip and Italy is at the top of the list…and we're thinking Sept/Oct which would appear to be a good time to go?

Meghan said...

This looked like such a fun day! We just booked our hotel in Venice so needless to say, these pictures make me really excited to go! I may need to pick your brain about Rome, as well as what to pack (packing stresses me out big time).

Nicole Marie said...

i really wish i had gone to venice when i lived in florence. but i bet it's much better to go with someone special :)

Jamie Pickle said...

I have really been enjoying your posts. Everything looks so beautiful. I hope to make it there some day!

Lindsay said...

venice was so neat. so different than any other place id been to. love your photos! makes me want to go back :)

Alexa said...

Seriously such a gorgeous city! One of my favorites for sure!

yours truly, melissa said...

Looks incredible! I really enjoyed these photos, thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Hello, yum!! All that food looks fantastic! And I love love loveee the dress you are wearing in these pictures. So cute!

Looks like a wonderful stop :)

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

What a gorgeous city! Love your pictures girl, and you look lovely too! :)

xoxo

annelise said...

Carol, this trip of yours has looked absolutely amazing. Venice is in my top two favourite places in the world (the other being Rome!) and these pictures totally do it justice! Looks like you and Nick had a brilliant time.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love the photo of you in the street! You look sooo happy!! Glad it was an amazing trip!

jillian m. said...

Oooooh Venice, I long for you. Looks so fabulous and romantic.

Hannah said...

These pictures are gorgeous! I couldn't be more jealous!

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Hannah said...

These pictures are gorgeous! I couldn't be more jealous!

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin