Monday, June 18, 2012

Memorial Week in Vancouver, BC

Hello friends, hope everyone had a great weekend!  I have so much to catch up on but I figured before I did my Napa post I should go back and do a Memorial weekend post.  I absolutely love Vancover, BC - I think if we didn't need a visa to live there Nick and I would move there in a heartbeat.  Nick and I spent our first anniverary in Vancouver and we had such a good time we promised we would go there more often.



It was a totally spur of the moment decision to head North of the border - we literally booked the hotel Friday after work and drove up Saturday morning.

I was super excited about where we were staying - in the lovely Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.  It's right in the middle of the city and a historial building and it was so cool to stay there!







Our first stop was of course Japadog!  Japanese style hot-dogs that got a lot of press when the 2010 Olympics were hosted in the city.



Giada is a fan of Japadog!

After our Japadog, we found a delicious gelato place - Bella Gelateria. It was amazing!  It was actually the 2012 Florence Italy Gelato Festival winner! I was so rich and delivious we will definetly be back!



We then checked out the lovely waterfront and saw a couple of cruises taking off for Alaska.  Brought back fun memories of our Greece cruise!

We love this city!
Olympic torch






Next stop was renting bikes and bikin around Stanley Park.  Such a great day to be on a bike!





After bikes we spent some more time walking around the city and  then went out to a thai restaurant that was recommended to us and then walked around the Gastown area.


Sunday morning we did brunch at the Fairmont and felt we needed a little workout so we drove north to Lynn Valley Park.  Our concierge recommended to us as a fun free thing to do with light hiking.  We didn't exactly pack our hiking gear so had to do something on the easier side.

The coolest thing about the park was the suspension bridge - 160 feet up!!  I tried to get a good picture but it was hard becasue I was gripping the ropes pretty tight!







After we got back into the city we walked around and wandered through Stanley Park.

Olympics!

Such a great weekend getaway and such a fun city - we'll be back soon for you British Columbia!

crossing the border - home sweet home!

16 comments:

Meghan @ Shine On said...

You two are adorable!! I love love LOVE Vancouver, aside from the fact that there are no Targets. ;)

xox,
Meghan

Hannah @ The New Black said...

I love the Fairmont! We usually stay there or Hotel le Soleil when we go...depending on which rate is better. I always laugh at those Japadog carts, but have never ventured to try one. We tend to visit Vancouver in the colder months so we've never had any of those outdoorsy experiences. It looks like you have a lot of fun...we may have to give it a try!

Meg said...

i love your pictures! i stayed at the hotel vancouver many times before becoming a citizen of vancouver, and it's probably my favourite vancouver hotel (good choice!) and i'm glad you love vancouver... that's how we felt about visiting seattle when we were still west coasters :) did you know, that inukshuk (tower of rocks) was there long before the olympics? i'm pretty sure it actually was the inspiration behind the vancouver 2010 logo! one of my favourite places to visit in the city. happy you had a great time! xo

Jax said...

I have always wanted to go to Vancouver! I think I said that on your first anniversary post about it, too.. haha.. Love the spontaneous getaway-the biking, the bridge, the waterfront, everything! :) And you can't go wrong with a Fairmont, that's for sure. :) Love their hotels.

Caroline said...

Love all of your travels. Great pics!

Kristin said...

Long weekends in Vancouver are so much fun! Love the Capilano bridge! Oooh the Fairmont hotel, nice!

poptartyogini said...

Vancouver looks like an amazing city. I've never been and I think I should visit our neighbors to the north. I think it looks so clean and fresh there. I bet it snows a lot through. Probably not in June however.

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Sounds like so much fun! Nick and I really need to take a weekend trip up there sometime. You've got me wanting a hot dog now!

Señorita said...

Hey there :)

Honestly, I don't much about Vancouver... All I hear is how beautiful and clean it is, and looking at your pictures, I can see it is true... The Olympic torch is spectacular; I love the design of it...

Great post; you've sold me on going to Vancouver in the future :)

http://www.ladyonaroof.com/

Kristin said...

im so jealous!! my gram lives there, I need to go visit stat

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Such a beautiful city, wow!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Hi Carol! I love finding other Seattle bloggers, too! Vancouver is such an amazing city, I haven't been up in a while but your post may inspire me to plan a trip. That suspension bridge looks so cool!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Oh wow, how gorgeous!!! Love the Olympic torch...so stunning and huge! And yes, you two are adorable on your lil vacay, too. ;)

Hope you're having a great day!!!

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

wowza! looks so beautiful and like such a fun time!! XO

jo said...

I live in Vancouver and I wouldn't live anywhere else. Love this city! Japa Dog is so delicious! Have you try Guu? It's another good Japanese restaurant. Love this post!

xo Jo

http://whiterosesandcoffee.blogspot.ca/

Nicole-Lynn said...

It is so pretty there! Glad y'all had a nice time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin