Thursday, February 14, 2013

Europe 2012 day 1: Zurich

Time to go back into the archives and finally blog about our European adventure in September of 2012!  First stop - Zurich, Switzerland (Sept. 4, 2012)!



We had an easy flight from Seattle to Atlanta to Zurich and arrived in the morning in the lovely city of Zurich. Did a quick passport control in Zurich, we did carry on bags only (oh yeah, light packing) so we headed into the city and found our hotel pretty easily.


We dropped off bags, headed out to grab lunch and then spent the afternoon doing the Rick Steves walking tour of Zurich. 

city viewpoint



Grossmünster 

Fraumünster

our self-guided Rick Steves walk

Zurich isn't a huge city so it was a nice first stop for a laid back day while were still adjusting from the 15+ hour journey   We did see some nice sights though and got Luxemburgerli macarons at Sprungli confectionery shop. I love macarons and I really want to learn how to make them - I could eat a whole basket!


I'll have one of every flavor, please
\

Zurich is much smaller and calmer than we thought it would be. We expected a bustling city on a river but it's very calm. It's was not very densely packed with people. We did see lots of fancy cars, Ferraris and Maseratis among them.



Since we were on a 9-hour time difference we got pretty tired early, did a casual dinner and of course ended the night with some Swiss Chocolate!



A great first day start to the trip!  Next stop: Lucerne, Switzerland!

14 comments:

Benlovesting said...

Lovely blog! x

Tara said...

This looks like a great place to visit! I may just have to add it to our European 'must-see' list :)

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah and Stewart said...

You ONLY did carry on bags?!? That is amazing! How long was your trip? I am dying to go to Switzerland...

Meghan said...

Fun recap! Reading about Europe just wants to make me go back to explore new places. I have my next Europe post almost done and I am excited to get it finished. I had macarons last night for the first time- now I want more of them!

Allison said...

The two of you are such a gorgeous couple - and the scenery is stunning! This looks like an incredible trip - and those macarons would seriously be my meal for the entire trip :) So happy to (finally) see your pictures, dear friend! xox

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Yay, glad you went to Sprungli. :) There's not a day I don't go to Zurich without buying Luxembourgerli. Hahahahahhaa!

Sara Marie said...

Carol - My mom found out that the Sur la Table in her San Diego neighborhood does a macaron cooking class! Maybe the one up here does too!

Meg {henninglove} said...

hang on, light packing?? how do you do such a thing for europe?? and now i want to book a trip to zurich just to get those macarons they look divine. yes i know they sell macarons here in the U.S. too but why not buy a macaron in Zurich?

Erica said...

1) I love that shirt on you. It's so classic!
2) macarons will always be my greatest weakness. always.
3) I'm so glad you're finally recounting your adventures!!

Erika Peterson said...

Zurich wasn't even on my radar of a place to visit, but now I really want to go! I also want to eat 100 macarons, but that's a completely different issue.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I am TOTALLY impressed by the carry on only bags! Those macaroons.... I would have ate as many as I could!

Emm in London said...

Oh my, what a gorgeous city and what lovely photos! I love all the church spires and clocks. I'm really interested in your carry-on only luggage. I flew to South Africa with carry-on only and loved the experience but that doesn't count because Ste was waiting on the other side with all my clothes etc. It is definitely something I'll investigate in future.

Don't you just love walking tours? It's the best way to see a city!!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Mmm, Swiss chocolate! I'm glad you're recapping your trip. I still haven't finished blogging about our trip to Texas last May. One of the many things on my to-do list!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin