Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Whistler Weekend: Skiing

When we went up to Whistler last weekend - our main activity was skiing of course!  It is the largest ski resort in North America and hosted part of the 2012 Winter Olympics.

Olympic Rings
Christine and me - top of the world!

The girls



There are two separate mountains at the resort and you get from each mountain via the Peak 2 Peak gondola - quite an experience and not for people scared of heights!  It holds world records for the longest free span between ropeway towers - 1.88 miles and highest point above the ground - 1,430 feet.


Going from Whistler Peak to Blackcomb Peak

Looking down - 1,430 feet up!

 We booked this trip with friends back in September when we had no idea what the conditions would be. Besides a few cloudy spots, we lucked out with great skiing weather, lots of fresh snow and we even had a very light snow coming down during the day!  A fantastic day on the slopes!




End of the day - we conquered the mountain! 
8,170 acres - yeah, it's big!


10 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

WOW, look at that views! Looks like a great place and so beautiful. Kisses

Sarah and Stewart said...

Oh man, I love Whistler so much, I'm so jealous of this trip! I still haven't been on my snowboard ONCE this season! :-(

Maria at inredningsvis.se said...

GREAT POST:)
Your blog is so wonderful..do you have twitter or bloglovin to follow with??

If you want some cute swedish decor inspiration...check out my blog:)

Have a great week dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)

Allison said...

I love Whistler and am so jealous that you guys have had so many fun ski trips! I miss snowboarding so much - Jersey slopes are just not cutting it.
Those views are incredible. I may need to budget for a Whistler trip - or at least head up to Mount Snow/Killington :)

Frances said...

holy cow that looks gorg! i am so sad i never made it to whistler in my time living in the Pacific Northwest!!!

Andrea said...

Eeeek! This makes me so excited for my trip in March! We are going to try to do 3ish days up at Whistler before the bf has to be in Seattle for a work conference! I can't wait to ride the Peak 2 Peak tram...It looks a little scary, but probably has some amazing views!

Erica said...

That looks amazing! I really must learn to ski...

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Looks like so much fun! I need to make it to Whistler sometime.

Nicole-Lynn said...

It looked so beautiful there! Glad y'all had a fun time!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That looks amazing! I can't believe that tram! It seems so crazy high!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin