Monday, March 4, 2013

Europe 2012 day 2: Lucerne

The next day of our trip (Sept. 5, 2012) brought us to the lovely city of Lucerne (Luzern), a cute little town on a lake.


Before we left Seattle we bought a three-country Eurail pass.  We bought it for Switzerland Austria and Germany for seven days of travel in first-class cabins (if you are under 26 you can get it for second class).  So we used our first leg of the pass for our train ride from Zurich to Lucerne, a quick one-hour train ride.

Onward to Lucerne with our EuRail Pass!

One hour nonstop train ride
From the train station we walked to our hotel, dropped off our bags and of course did a Rick Steves walk! We checked out the sights and some of the more famous landmarks of the city - the wooden bridge that goes across the river and lion monument.





The Lion Monument is actually really big (20 feet tall) and dedicated to the fallen Swiss soldiers.


Switerland is known for it's wealth and watches - this was the most expensive watch we saw in a window - about $35,000!!!  (I personally think it's ugly...)

Not cute
Lake Lucerne is a huge lake and they offer a lot of boat rides around the lake so we decided to do one from Luzern to the little town of Weggis.  We stopped by the grocery store and picked up some lunch to eat on the boat.  The weather was a little cloudy, but we were still able to enjoy the pretty and relaxing ride.

Boats cruising along Lake Lucerne






We ended the night walking around the town and with some chocolates from Laderach


Night view of the bridge
Next stop - the beautiful Swiss Alps in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland

17 comments:

Andrea said...

Those chocolates look amazing! What a cute little town! Of course I am loving that lion.

Nicole-Lynn said...

These are great pics! Glad y'all had a fun time on your trip. You look beautiful! :)

Allison said...

These pictures are absolutely stunning - I'm so, so happy you're putting them up (finally ;) !!). I'm definitely (as per usual) living through you and your gorgeous pictures until I figure out where I'd like to go on my next trip! I think Europe is calling my name - especially those chocolates! You look beautiful as always - and you and Nick are such a gorgeous couple :)

love jenny xoxo said...

looks like a fabulous time! lovely photos! I've always wanted to go to europe!

{love jenny xoxo}

Sarah and Stewart said...

Traveling by train in Europe is the best! There are great photos, what a fun trip!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I miss my hometown!!! :) Loving your recap and yes, that watch is ugly. I once found one that was more expensive and even uglier. :(

xoxo

Meg {henninglove} said...

i have heard lucern is just an amazing city! thanks for sharing i need to visit switzerland, i have only been to zurich but that was just to change planes, i didn't leave the airport

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'd go for the chocolate alone. Haha! Looks like a lovely place!

Sienna said...

hey you! yeah i'm back :) i found your instagram as well. lucerne looks beautiful, and you two are adorable!

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

What a pretty city. You remind me of Duchess Kate in that blue trench!

Erica said...

What a photogenic town (and of course couple)! That looks like so much fun. This is making me want to quit my brand new job to travel around Europe... ha!

Kristin said...

You are a lucky traveling bug!

brittany said...

oh my gosh, so gorgeous and so fun!!

Mandy Southgate said...

What a pretty little town. I really want to travel Europe by rail one day but so far, we've been doing so mainly by car. We're lucky in that we can drive through from London but one day I'd like to give that up and go by rail.

Anonymous said...

I rеally like it whеnever people get togеthеr
and ѕhare idеas. Gгeat webѕite, continue the goοd work!



Also νiѕit my web sіte :: Hotel Lower price (Hotels_Discount) about Tweets

Anonymous said...

Hellо there! I ϳust wish to give уou а hugе thumbs up for your grеat infο you've got right here on this post. I'll be coming bасk to your
blog for more ѕoοn.

Looκ at my webpage - Some Exclusive Hotels On the planet

Anonymous said...

I am gеnuinely delighted tο glаnce at this webpage posts which
cοntainѕ tons of ѵaluablе data, thanks
for providing such ѕtatistіcs.

mу webpage ... facebook accommodations & vacation

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin