Monday, March 25, 2013

Europe 2012 day 4 Part 2: Swiss Alps hiking

After spending the morning (Sept. 7, 2012) at the Top Of Europe (previous blog post), we headed back down via the train to the small town of Kleine Scheidegg.

An afternoon of hiking in the Swiss Alps

We found a restaurant for lunch and enjoyed the beautiful views from the deck.

Not a bad view

Beer + beautiful views

Right above the restaurant there was also a little lookout area...


This was the first time we really got a great view of the three famous peaks of this area - the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau (from left to right).

Panorama of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau - click to enlarge

After lunch we hit the trail from the restaurant at Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen (point A to B on the map).

Larger map of the Berner Oberland

Zoomed in - our day



It was a highly recommended hike and lots of pictures were taken...


Panorama of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau - click to enlarge



Pointing out the famous North Face of the Eiger - people actually climb up that



We met lots of nice people on this trail (I love talking to fellow travelers, hearing their stories and politely asking them to take a picture of Nick and me) - the fresh air always seems to bring the best out in people!





A couple of hours (and many pictures later) we reached Männlichen, and it gave us beautiful views of the three peaks and down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley and where we were heading next - Wengen.

enjoying the view from the lookout

panorama of the lookout - click to enlarge

Looking down onto Wengen
From there we bought gondola tickets ad made a STEEP decent down to the town of Wengen, another cute little Swiss resort town.

A very, very steep gondola ride down, my stomach turned a little

What the gondolas look like from outside

We loved staying in Lauterbrunnen but Wengen would be another option for our next trip back, whenever that may be :)





In all the towns in the area (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg, etc...) were decorations for a HUGE marathon going on the next day - the Jungfrau Marathon.  I don't know much about marathons, but this is (apparently) one of the most famous in the world.  3,500 runners from all around the world participate and there is a huge wait list of people wanting to be a part of it.

The streets of Wengen decorated for the marathoners - it's a hard
marathon (big elevation gains) but they get great views!

After wandering around Wengen and grabbing a snack we bought tickets for a train back down to Lauterbrunnen (point D).

Train back down to Lauterbrunnen

Once we got back down to our hotel we sat on the balcony, had dinner and even watched a BASE jumped land really close to us!  There was a pretty view of the valley, Staubbach Falls and enjoyed a nice sunset too.  We just spent the evening talking, enjoying each-others company and getting excited for the next day!

View from the balcony

A BASE jumper that landed really close to our balcony, I took a video after this picture

Next stop: another day in the Swiss Alps and a meetup with our friend Nicole and Eric from Seattle!

19 comments:

Caroline said...

Breathtaking views!!

Meg {henninglove} said...

wow carol these photos are amazing! the mountains are so gorgeous and majestic. thanks for sharing this wonderful trip

Allison said...

I cannot get over these views - my comments on all of these have been so redundant, but seriously, the views and your perfect pohotography say so much more than I can with any comment I leave!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I'm a bit jealous you went. I miss Switzerland. However, I only miss it in summer and nice warm fall days. :)

Erika Peterson said...

Carol, this trip is looking more and more amazing. What an incredible experience!

Sarah and Stewart said...

That looks like an amazing hike! I always feel so awkward asking other people to take my phone when I'm on vacation, but it's so necessary!

Kristin said...

You are killing me with these Europe trip posts!! Haha! Amazing! Do you think my babies & hubby would miss me if I just snuck off for a few weeks??? ;)

love jenny xoxo said...

Wow!!! gorgeous photos, seriously looks so amazing!!!


{love jenny xoxo}

Sienna said...

i just can't get over those views, the snow is so pretty! you still manage to look cute while hiking, haha

Olga Zgonnik said...

these pictures are so stunning, I got completly lost in them :)

www.anightinnyc.blogspot.com

Meagan said...

Gorgeous! I'm so jealous!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

What an incredible hike!!!

Deidre said...

Your pictures are incredible and the hike looks amazing.

Meghan said...

I am seriously in awe over these pictures! I can't believe how beautiful the mountains are and how different they look on a sunny day. I loved our time there, but I need to go back when it's sunny!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

What breathtaking views, these photos are gorgeous! This would be a pretty neat place to go to for a honeymoon. I am just sooo drawn to those photos of the mountains.

Nicole Marie said...

oh my gosh those mountains! i need to get myself there again

Jess said...

What a gorgeous hike!

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

Ali of Dressing Ken said...

This brings back fond memories of when I first moved to Seattle where I lived for a decade but have since moved back to NY. But being the typical suburban/urban dwelling New Yorker I remember being stunned at the mountain views on my first hike and marveled at the wonderful humid free summers!

Ali of

www.dressignken.com

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

These pictures are incredible!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin