Thursday, August 15, 2013

Europe 2012 day 6: Train to Munich

The next morning (Sept. 9, 2012) has us saying goodbye to Switzerland and hello to Germany!  

Guten tag Germany

We took a train from Interlaken to Karlsruche (Germany), did a very quick transfer (as in running to catch our train!) then Karlsruche to Munich.  The trains were really nice and comfortable and we watched Game of Thrones for most of the 6+ hour journey.

no direct trains to Munich, the Alps are in the way

We got into Munich at about 4 p.m., found our hotel and got settled in and then set out for Marienplatz in the center of the city to do the Rick Steves walking tour.  It was a beautiful, warm afternoon.


A fun German band playing in the square

Asam Church

We just managed to catch the 5 PM Glockenspiel along with the rest of the big crowd there, and walked the 306 narrow stairs to the top of St. Peter's to see the panoramic view of the city.  As we were walking down the huge bells started to ring right by us shaking the whole building (slightly terrifying).  


making our way up the steep and narrow steps


made it to the top!

panorama from above
Frauenkirche

New Town Hall + glockenspiel




and back down


We only made it about halfway through the self-guided tour, stopping at the Frauenkirche (the one with the big onion domes) and then we saw a cute restaurant with outdoor seating right on the square, so we grabbed a table at the Augustiner am Dom.  While we loved Switzerland, it was a very expensive country so the prices in Germany were a welcome sight! 



We enjoyed beer, brats and our first dinner outside in beautiful Germany.  

perfect outdoor seating for our dinner

14 comments:

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

You had great weather...just perfect. :) And I miss Germany already.

Christy said...

I was in Munich about 2 weeks after you (for Oktoberfest). I really loved it there!

thanksswa.blogspot.com

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Bobby studied abroad in Karlsruche!

Susannah said...

Wow! Germany is gorgeous. I love the architecture! :-)

heather{land} said...

Gah. Carol -- even more reason for me to live vicariously through the pics from your next trip! I can't wait for the day we can do this!

Sarah Alway said...

Beautiful! My husband has been to Oktoberfest in Munich and I'm so jealous!

Sarah @ Life As Always

birdie to be said...

Amazing pictures! I would love to go to Munich! I'm recapping my trip to Italy on the blog too :)

bunnie hilliard said...

Amazing photos! I've heard great things about travel to Germany! Definitely on my Bucket List!

Nicole Marie said...

i've only been to munich for oktoberfest so i didn't exactly see much of the city :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

How fun! I think I would have felt a little closed in on that staircase!

Allison said...

My dad went to Munich for Oktoberfest and LOVED every second of it. I was incredibly jealous, and all of that is coming back to me looking at these pictures! More places to go for the bucket list :)

Carrie {Living It Up in U.P.} said...

Fun! I really enjoyed Germany (Berlin) when we went there. I'm always a fan of beer and brats. ;)

Freddie Mac said...

Munich is one of the best place in Germany. If you want to hire a car at Munich Train Station than Visit Munichtrainstationcarrental.com

Mandy Southgate said...

I loved Munich and it certainly gave me a taste for exploring more of Germany! I'm quite envious though - the views from St Peter's are just incredible!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin