Sunday, October 20, 2013

Europe 2012 day 7: Fussen and castles

Before I blog about Thailand - going back into the archives of last year...

The next day (Sept. 10, 2012) we made our way to the small Bavarian town of Fussen (2 hours outside of Munich) to see the  Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles.  

Beautiful day to see castles

It's a popular tourist stop so everything was very efficient, but it requires a lot of walking inside and outside of the castles.   Our first stop was Hohenschwangau castle.  This was "Mad" King Ludwig's first home.  No pictures inside the castle were allowed, but it was beautiful inside!  


"Mad" King Ludwig's first home before building Neuschwanstein

gardens

There's Neuschwanstein in the background

Bavaria


After the 30 minute tour, we stopped and had some lunch and then made out way up to Neuschwanstein.  Before hitting the second castle though, our first stop was St. Mary's bridge - for some great views!


As I do in every stop - a picture for Rick Steves

Just like the 3D castle I had when I was little

view of the town below


We then toured Neuschwanstein (sometimes called Cinderella's castle).  No pictures allowed inside either.


The enterace

Inside the courtyard






After the castles, we did the Rick walking tour of Fussen - visiting the old town, the cemetery, the riverbank and the high castle. Having never seen one before, we bought a milk-chocolate covered schneeball from a bakery and took it for the train ride home. 









Treat for the train ride back to Munich

When we arrived back in Munich we headed straight for the main Augustiner beer garden west of the train station, well out of the city center.   It's also the oldest beer garden in all of Munich and ended up being my favorite of the trip (Nick's was later in Salzburg).  

What we found was decidedly untouristy: no English signs and very little spoken, and hardly another tourist in sight. We stumbled our way through the food line, ending up with brats and sauerkraut and a big pretzel and lager to share, and enjoyed it at one of the hundreds of tables filling the lot.
The tempature was perfect to sit outside with our beer and brats!

relaxing after a day of touring

The place was huge







Very casual with communal seat yourself tables - I loved it!


Next stop: Another day in Munich!


11 comments:

Mandy Southgate said...

What a stunning post! I think this is my favourite of all of your posts so far on this trip. I am a big fan of castles and would have been in seventh heaven seeing these two fairy tale castles in one day. I really enjoyed Munich so hopefully I can return one day to see both the castles and Dachau too which we missed last time.

Ashley said...

Looks like so much fun and great photos!

Susannah said...

What gorgeous castles!!! How exciting that you got to visit all of them. :-)

Sarah Alway said...

Awesome photos! I bet it was fun to re-live the trip through this post. I totally need to do some posts on our Europe trip from a couple years ago. Also, I sent my husband your blog about Cambodia and Thailand and now we both really want to go!

Sarah @ Life As Always

Nicole Marie said...

i want to go there so bad!! i just want to be in cinderllas castle hahah! bavaria looks amazing!

Allison said...

These pictures are amazing! Ahh, I want to go to that biergarten and eat all that delicious food. I'm so glad you're posting all of these, even a year later, my dear friend! :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I always love getting to see your great travels!

Holly said...

the picture of you with the beer stein is classic!!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Ok. I miss Germany. I miss Europe badly. There are times I just want to give up everything here and move back. However, I won't. :)

LOVED your photos. I have been to Neuschwanstein before and would love to go back. Just gorgeous.

xoxo

OneCraftyFox said...

Oh, so thrilling!!

Meghan said...

Awesome pictures! You had beautiful weather while you were there. I also have a picture of me and our Rick Steves Germany book at the castles. :) The Augustiner beer garden was our favorite, too! Do you have any other big trips coming up?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin