Thursday, December 19, 2013

Europe 2012 day 9: Munich - Dachau and BMW Museum

The next day of our trip (Sept. 12, 2012) was our last one in Germany.

Dinner at the Hofbrauhaus

The weather was a little drizzly, it matched the mood of where we started out our day, at the Dachau Concentration Camp.  We knew it would be a sad sight, but really felt strongly about going there.
  


Walking into the camp, you walk through the same iron gate the prisoners walked through with  "Arbeit Macht Frei" on it - which sadly means "work makes you free." 



Our first stop was the well laid out and educational museum. I didn't know that Dachau was the first real concentration camp, was open for the entire history of the Nazi party all the way through the war, and served as the model and "school" for all other camps. At the center of the museum is a 22 minute film (very emotional) that puts together a lot of old footage and photos of the camp. At the end of the museum you reach the part where they talk about the liberation of the camp by the American soldiers.



The rest of the site is just open to walk around - a prison area with interrogation rooms, cells, crematorium the living quarters. We ended our time there with and a short walk around a peaceful little garden path that featured a few small memorial sites all for various religions.





hard to read - but it says in Hebrew and English - "Do Not Forget"

All in all, we were there for almost 4 hours, it was emotionally exhausting but definitely a good and powerful sight to see.  

Afterwards we went back into the city, grabbed some food and then lightened up the day with a trip to the BMW Museum!   

BMW-Welt is a free-admission exhibition hall and luxury sales floor. I was admiring the Rolls-Royces!





I knew Nick would really enjoy the BMW Museum and I didn't have high expectations - but it was actually really cool!  We were inside for two hours and there is a lot to see. Consumer cars, race cars, motorcycles, engines of all types (including airplane),  company history, branding and advertising, art (including the very cool moving sculpture, the metal balls suspended from wires that move up and down), and on and on. 






Standing next to a James Bond car


After the BMW Museum we headed out into the city for one last visit - to the famous Hofbrauhaus. We entered the noisy hall and it was packed with people. We gave ourselves a nice little tour of the place, and it's just how you'd imagine it: stout wooden tables, barmaids in traditional dress, the oompah band on a little stage in the middle, and liter mugs everywhere. We both preferred the Augustiner beer garden from a few days before - but its such a famous place I am glad we went! 




hanging out with the oompha band


prost!  our last day in Germany

 Next stop: Salzburg, Austria

11 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Oh man, I had too much fun at the Hofbrauhaus!

Allison said...

I can't imagine how emotional it was to be at Dachau - reading about the concentration camps in Night by Elie Wiesel was an emotional journey for me, so I can't imagine actually experiencing it firsthand. Your pictures and words are beautiful though!
The BMW museum looks like SO much fun. My dad also went there during his time in Germany - he's owned BMWs for forever, so I think it was really cool for him to see all the different ones!
And Hofbrauhaus - it looks like a great experience, even if it was packed.
Amazing pictures, dear friend!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

I am beyond happy you went to Dachau. Not that it is a fun place to go to but I believe we all need to go there once. It is history but this history never dies. I think it's planted in all of us - that's why it's emotional and touches everyone. I don't know one person who doesn't get touched...even by reading about it or hearing stories. I'm glad you posted about the BMW museum...my tears went away. Thank you.

Sarah Alway said...

We have the EXACT same stein that is showing in the first photo, I swear! Stewart brought it back from Germany! Random!! Love all your travel posts, keep them coming!

heather{land} said...

Tack it on to my bucket list :) All of it.

Your Southern Peach said...

We visited Dahau in 1997 and agree it was a chilling experience! Also seeing the Berlin wall was just mind blowing. Thanks for sharing...brought back travel memories of my own.

Mandy Southgate said...

I'm glad you went to Dachau. When we went to Munich, my friend felt unable to go and we respected her wishes of course and that is one of the reasons we'd like to return. We also went to the BMW museum - it was fun! Loved your photos of Hofbrauhaus - another thing I miss out on!!

Mango RabbitRabbit said...

Wow… I loved the pic of you on the motorbike you looked so cute! I wish I had the opportunity to travel too, especially Dachau as I've heard amazing things about it! <3 I've just followed you on GFC, looking forward to your next post love!!

xoxo, Mango ❤
MangoRabbitRabbit's Blog | 3 Tips: Winter Indoor Shopping!

Susannah said...

Those sound like two amazing places to visit! :-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

What an emotional visit! I can't imagine going there but I agree... I think everyone should go there at least once!

That RR!!!! LOVE it!

Claudia Kaur said...

When i visited Munich i loved Marienplatz an open square and had rented a car to roam about the full city. You can click here for the car renting company from where i got the car and rode all over the Munich

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin