Saturday, March 8, 2014

Europe 2012 day 13: Vienna, Austria

The next morning (Sept. 16, 2012) we said goodbye to the cute town of Hallstatt and on to Vienna.

The famous Vienna Opera House at night

It was a beautiful blue-sky day and the train ride was lovely!

Train view



Our last train ride of the trip

We found our hotel (after walking in the wrong direction from the train station), got settled in and made our way into the center of town to see the sights and grab some food.  Rick Steves of course helped us along the way, including his awesome audio-tour!


St. Stephen's Cathedral
St. Stephen's Cathedral


Gelato stop at Zanoni & Zanoni




Hoffburg Palace

Hoffburg Palace
Vienna Opera House
Vienna at night
At St. Peter's they were doing a free organ concert so we sat in there for a little bit - in a city famous for it's music it seemed like the right thing to do. 

St. Peter's
Later than night we had a yummy dinenr at Reinthaler's Beisl, and then witnessed a cool thing at the Vienna Opera House.  Tickets are really expensive (although we scored some cheap seat tickets for the next, more on that later) so the opera house sets out chairs an a big screen to watch the show for free.  We sat for a bit and watched Arabella (we could't even get tickets if we wanted to becasue Nick was wearing shorts - strict dress code).

Arabella on the outdoor big screen at the Vienna Opera House
Next stop: a final day in Vienna for the trip home!

10 comments:

Megan Joy Williams said...

Rick Steves is my hero.

It must be so lovely to travel down memory lane like this. I should do it more often.

B said...

That's pretty awesome that they show it on a screen outside!

B said...

That's pretty awesome that they show it on a screen outside!

birdie to be said...

Love your pictures! The buildings are so gorgeous!

Allison said...

I love your Rick Steves obsession - I don't blame you one bit!
These pictures are gorgeous, that opera house in absolutely unreal. Ahh, you're making me even more excited for my trip to Europe (though a few countries over).

Susannah said...

Wow! I want to visit Austria so badly!

Sarah Alway said...

Oh my gosh, this amazing trip is never ending! Every time I read one of your posts about it I get a travel itch, bad!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oh my gosh carol you are making me miss vienna and think back to all the wonderful times i had while studying abroad there one semester in college. i would walk like stephens cathedral all the time, went to zanoni and zanoni countless times with my italian roommates. it is such a beautiful historic city

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I need to see if he has a book on Hawaii! I'm going to the big island in July for the first time.

Nicole-Lynn said...

So fun! You guys are such amazing travelers. I love following your posts an IG pics to see what you're up to. I'll live vicariously through you until we can travel again :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin