Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Southeast Asia 201 Days 1 & 2: traveling to Thailand

In my quest to get caught up on travel posts - I'm now venturing to our three-week trip to Southeast Asia in September of 2013, Thailand and Cambodia!



The first post is just a quick entry about our journey to the other side of the world.  The first leg of our flight (Sept. 6 and 7, 2013) was a 10 hour flight from Seattle to Tokyo and had a small layover there. Whenever we travel through multiple time zones, we try to readjust right away to our new destination's schedule.  So we stayed awake during our layover and walked around the Narita International Airport and used their free wifi.


Pretty origami for jet-lagged travelers




The next leg of our flight was Tokyo to Bangkok which was about 6.5 hours.  We arrived at the Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok at about 11 p.m., at this point I was so disoriented after a 20 hour travel day, I didn't know what was up or down.  But so excited that we finally made it to Thailand and that our trip was about to begin!



We went through customs and immigration and then found a sign for the car to our hotel. There are a lot hotels surrounding the Bangkok airport (it's one of the busiest airports in Asia) so finding somewhere to sleep close to the hotel (we were going to be on a flight the next morning) was no problem.  Our hotel was about a 10 minute drive from the airport, after a quick check in at the hotel, we emailed our parents to let them know we had safely arrived, we passed out!

After a great sleep, we woke up, grabbed breakfast and were back to the airport!  Our trip was about to fully being, next stop - Siem Reap, Cambodia!

9 comments:

Meg Henning said...

ahh narita airport i have been there many a times but i always went through customs there :-) cant wait to read more about your trip

Allison said...

Yay, I'm so happy you're posting about all of these trips. You're giving me significant wanderlust though, even just talking about the airport! Can't wait to see more :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can't wait to hear all about this trip!

birdie to be said...

Love it! Such a long journey. We went there for our honeymoon, but weird, we traveled the other way and our layover was in Taiwan.

Mandy Southgate said...

Oh how exciting! I can't wait to hear more about your trip. I try not to beat myself up about blogging 'in arrears'. I just make a bit of a schedule and know that most stories will eventually get told.

Sienna said...

haha finally!! i can't wait to hear about everything!!! i'm so stoked for you that you went!

Susannah said...

Yay!!! I can't wait to hear about this trip!

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

So embarrased to say you've commented on my blog and I swore I followed you but somehow I haven't?! Glad to finally follow along.. Good place to start at too! I've been dying to go to Thailand!

Sarah Alway said...

Yay, I can't wait to hear about your next adventures! Traveling can be so hard... the furthest I've ever gone was from Seattle to England and even that seemed like forever. We are taking the little one to Hawaii next week though... fingers crossed for that travel adventure!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin